FREE: World's Healthiest News
Subscribe to World’s Healthiest News. Discover ways to boost your energy, supercharge your immune system, look and feel great. You’ll find Healthy Deals--exclusive offers on some of the best health products and nutritious recipes–all from a source you can trust…and FREE! SUBSCRIBE TO WORLD'S HEALTHIEST NEWS.
Dr. Michelle's Books
More Resources from Dr. Michelle
Dr. Michelle's E-Book Store
Dr. Michelle's Spanish Books for Kindle
More Great Info from Dr. Michelle
Dr. Michelle in the Media
Dr. Michelle Schoffro Cook has made over 1000 media appearances, including: First for Women, Woman's Worlds, Glow, Oxygen, Vegetarian Times, YOU: The Owner's Manual Radio Show, The Huffington Post, DivineCaroline, Yahoo! Shine, Natural Solutions magazine, The Ottawa Citizen, and many others.
Dr. Michelle's Care2.com Blog
- Overlooked Superfood Lowers Cholesterol
- Detox Your Car in 10 Simple Steps
- Protein Powder Primer: Whey or No Whey?
- Natural Remedy as Effective as Allergy Medication
- How to Grow Sprouts
- 6 Ways to Speed Recovery From Injuries
- 6 Super Spring Detox Foods
- Genetically-Modified Salmon Insufficiently Tested for Safety
- Shocking Number of Deaths Linked to Air Pollution
- School Condones Bullying, Blames Victim
Dr. Michelle on the Radio
Follow Dr. Michelle on Twitter
Book an Appointment with Dr. Michelle
This research-driven program shows readers that losing weight quickly and permanently is a matter of correcting their body chemistry and success is just a few 60-second steps away.
Many studies have examined the acid-alkaline relationship between the foods we eat and how our bodies store fat, but Dr. Schoffro Cook offers the first plan to alkalize the body with simple, surprising, and flexible 60-second weight loss tricks. First, readers learn how to "kick the acid" by eating delicious meals made with whole foods that are balanced to help readers flush fat and revitalize their entire bodies. To keep the pounds peeling off, each week readers add a few new habits to their regimens. Every tip brings readers closer to balancing their pH and boosting their metabolism, so they can pick and choose the tips that fit best into their busy lifestyles for flattering results that will last. The plan features 50 mouth-watering, alkalizing recipes such as Coconut Waffles, Grilled Chicken with Citrus Salsa, and succulent Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp.
Every now and then I read or hear someone say that the body doesn’t need to detoxify. This is an appalling statement since the body cannot live without effective and efficient detoxification, which needs to occur in the lungs, liver, skin, intestines, kidneys, lymphatic system, and other areas of the body every minute of every day.
Our bodies are surprisingly good at detoxification but these processes can easily become overwhelmed due to the volume of toxins to which we’re exposed from our air, water, food, pharmaceutical and over-the-counter drugs, and many other sources.
These detoxification processes also rely on many critical nutrients (you’ll discover which ones below) to function properly. Fortunately, there are many easy things you can do to help your body eliminate harmful toxins. Here are 15 easy ways to detoxify today based on my book, The 4-Week Ultimate Body Detox Plan:
1. Eat pectin-rich organic apples. Pectin binds to toxins in the intestines to escort them out of the body.
2. Drink a freshly-made veggie juice daily. This can be as easy as throwing a couple of handfuls of leafy greens into a blender with some frozen berries and water.
3. Drink a large glass of purified water with the juice of one fresh lemon in the morning. Lemons have over 20 proven anti-cancer compounds in lemons.
4. Eat blueberries daily. They are rich in anthocyanins that reduce inflammation in the body and brain, as well as help reduce allergies and excess weight.
5. Remember to breathe. Oxygen kills bacteria, viruses, and helps us to feel more energized. Breathe deeply as much as possible.
6. Eat at least a half cup of legumes daily. If they cause you gas, build up slowly and add a digestive enzyme with cellulase (breaks down the fiber in beans). Fiber in beans helps keep the bowels eliminating properly.
7. Find the positive in every day. Smile and laugh. A positive attitude reduces the number of stress chemicals in the body. And, as the adage says, “laughter is the best medicine.”
8. Take turmeric daily (a teaspoon in a small glass of water), added to soups or stews, or in capsule form. It contains the phytonutrient curcumin that is one of the most powerful liver protectors and healers. The liver is largely responsible for detoxification.
9. Eat more raw fruits and vegetables. They contain enzymes that aid digestion and improve nutrient absorption. Many nutrients are needed for efficient detoxification, including: beta carotene, folic acid, niacin, pantothenic acid, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin B12, pyridoxine, vitamin C, vitamin E, calcium, copper, germanium, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, sulphur, and zinc, among others.
10. Switch from chemical cleaning products to natural ones. Chemical cleaning products contain toxins like formaldehyde, chlorine, petroleum products, ammonia, perchloroethylene (“perc”), and many other harmful chemicals that research links to cancer, skin conditions, asthma, and other serious health conditions. Baking soda, vinegar, or orange oil work well. No chemical cleaner removes stains as well as orange oil.
11. Eat at least three of the best detoxifying foods daily. They include: broccoli, garlic, spinach, cabbage, sprouts, blueberries, and ginger.
12. Drink plenty of pure water to help flush toxins from your body. Almost every process in your body depends on proper hydration to function smoothly.
13. Help remove toxins in your intestines by using aloe vera juice (about a quarter cup) or drinking a few cups of slippery elm bark, marshmallow root, or rhubarb root tea (about one teaspoon of the dried herb per cup of water).
14. Take a probiotic supplement with live cultures on an empty stomach daily (morning or evening works well). The beneficial bacteria kill harmful bacteria and yeasts in the intestines, helping to restore many functions of the body.
15. Get at least 30 minutes of vigorous physical activity daily. Sweating is one of the best ways of removing harmful toxins, including heavy metals, from the body.
Subscribe to my free e-magazine World’s Healthiest News to receive monthly health news, tips, recipes and more. Follow me on Twitter @mschoffrocook and Facebook. Michelle Schoffro Cook, PhD, ROHP, is an international best-selling and 14-time book author, popular blogger, holistic nutritionist, and doctor of traditional natural medicine. Visit her websites: WorldsHealthiestDiet.com, DrMichelleCook.com, and the upcoming one: HealthySurvivalist.com.